Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A touch of Heritage for Dusty Attic

I hope you are keeping warm (if in NZ).  It has been a cold raw day today with a high of  8 degrees Celsius. 

When I saw the Dusty Attic Challenge for June I knew it was a good sketch for a family tree page for DD's album. 
This is my take on the sketch using Bo Bunny Country Garden paper.  Dusty Attic lamp, corner scroll and flags.  
 
The sub-title I printed on velum and placed it vertically beside the lamp.  It reads " How will our children know who they are if they don't know where they come from? - John Steinbeck".     The column photos are staged with parents, grandparents and great grandparents all on their wedding days. The strips have been punched with Martha Stewart punches - Swirling lace and Cherish.  I then punched a cardstock piece of the same to matt them
 The letters for the word HERITAGE are made with Martha Stewart Moulds.  My photo does not highlight the little flower patterns on each one.  I love these little letters available from Embellish It.  I tucked a little tag down the top of the layout with all the names of those on the layout.  By inserting it at the top of a layout it is easy to remove for reading and return to it's place when the layouts are in the protective sleeves (providing it is a top loading album of course) 
 The scroll was painted with Gesso and then Tim Holtz crackle paint and then a few bits inked to make it look oldish.   The lamp also went through the same process but I didn't like it white in the end so ended up playing around with puff paint and in the end painted the whole thing with Twinkling H2Os and was pleased with the final finish.  I couldn't resist using the rose trim on the layout to give it a bit of body. 
 Vintage cotton lace was used down the centre panel.

I have previously used these photos on a canvas for the wall which can be seen here.  That time was a submission for a magazine where recycling and innovative stamping techniques were required so it was a learning curve.  The project was embellished with lots of memorabilia such as lace from my wedding dress, army buttons, old jewellery and beads and trinkets. 

Thanks so much for visiting today.  Don't be shy and let me know you are visiting by leaving a comment. 

Until next time ....





1 comment:

Francine said...

This is absolutely stunning! i LOVE everything about it! I saw this sketch and wondered what i could do with it and you have just shown me a piece of perfection! AMAZING!